Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Shake It Off ~ a Taylor Swift Review

So I'm sure all of my fellow Swifties (Taylor Swift fans) have heard Taylor's new single for her upcoming album 1989... and watched the music video. Time for a review? Why not? :)


The Song
"Shake It Off" is definitely more... upbeat than I usually like with songs. Two years ago, "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" shocked me. I had the same reaction with this song, just not quite as much because I've been expecting Taylor to go even more pop. So the end result is that I like the song, but I don't love it. That may very well change after a few more dozen listens (because that is usually what happens with me and songs). But the message is great. :) To quote a good friend of mine, authoress Gina Marinello-Sweeney:

Taylor Swift has admitted to her vulnerability as an artist and how she has been hurt by the rude comments that people have made about her. Nevertheless, she has found a powerful antidote: "People can say whatever they want about us at any time, and we cannot control that," she said. "The only thing we can control is our reaction to that."

Alyianna's rating: 8 out of 10


Taylor takes a tumble while attempting to curtsey


The Music Video
I prefer the music videos in which Taylor tells the story, but I do like the idea of this music video - Taylor dancing among professional dancers, not having a clue what's going on, but still making her own way and having a great time. I just wish I could have seen more of the ballet dancers. ;)

There is one problem with the music video, though, and that revolves around the dancing itself. One of the groups of dancers is a group of (I'm guessing) belly dancers. These dancers are dressed inappropriately and the camera zooms up on some...well, parts that they shouldn't have. While I don't believe Taylor is glorifying these certain types of dancing, I don't think they should have been in the video.

Alyianna's rating: 7 out of 10


Taylor is blinded by a veil, but she doesn't care

No comments: